Maidagin area of Varanasi happens to among the notable of areas in the city and it centers around a well-maintained garden that was built during the British days of 1867. The earlier water-body which existed here was known as Maidagin Tank which was replaced eventually by the Company Garden with a pond in the middle. The city Town Hall situated opposite to the garden was built in the year 1875. It is surrounded by a large open space that is used for public meetings and other functions. This is virtually the center of the city of Varanasi. Back in time as the population of the city increased many ponds such as Benia, Maidagin and Machhodari, and Godaulia Nala were drained and replaced by parks or streets. The main reason behind this move was to increase the width of congested and narrow roads as well as to create broad thoroughfares in the place of constricted lanes in the city.